So even just with the realm of my own experience, I have felt deeply there is only so much objective language that can describe in our world. For example, with something like music, I can objectively know that physically, they are just wavelengths. But it does not matter to most music listeners what music exactly is objectively, although we accept the fact as truth in this case, but we still choose to see it as something other because our experience with music than our observation of what it literally is. '
We like to think of ourselves, the people living now, as learned folks
who are rational because we produce knowledge in that manner, and is our culturally lived experience. However, I
almost feel that collectively, we are too arrogant to the capacity of
our knowledge, and forget about the things we cannot know about, and
here I feel that the indigenous view is actually more realistic? We
almost think that breaking things down to what they can be described is
is not sufficient in answering the questions. Even predictability cannot
be a reason why, and in this way the indigenous view point presented in
the reading is at least more realistic for what it is.
There is more tendency now to give value to being scientific, I think we tend to conflate being scientific with the meaning of it itself. The least important part, terminology as an indicator of credibility in many fields. However, math must require the person to understand the concept. The terminology only matters for communication, and there are ways to get around it because the term itself can be arbitrary. People name things after themselves and other random things and it doesn't matter. The understanding can be learned in many different ways and it doesn't matter what you label things, its more just done out of ease and practicality, not a condition of success.
Jason, I love the connections you make with music here especially!
ReplyDelete