Friday, September 26, 2025

Soundscaping reflection (exit slip 18th)

I remember that during my soundscaping activity, I liked the feeling of being outside and focusing on only the sound, but in some ways, I found the experience frustrating as well, because of the lack of structure behind the sound.

I realized how irregular the natural sounds are. The sound of wind does not happen in cycles, it just comes and goes, but there also seems to be a 'right' way for it to sound, so what is this pattern that I am recognizing?

The uniform sounds tend to be man-made, like how the engine of a truck sounds, or how the honks of a car sound. The contrast between natural sounds and man-made sounds is easily distinguishable, often before you can label what that exact sound is.

The frustrating part is there is no underlying structure to the sound. I noticed that I gravitated towards the motifs from the tune that Susan played, and after the midpoint of the activity, focused mostly on the human musical ideas. I couldn't help but focus on the human sounds, they just cut through for me and found it hard to get away from hearing the natural sounds as just 'background'.

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Annotated bibliography

Annotated Bibliography Bada, A., & Akinbobola, A. (2017). Effectiveness of experiential teaching strategy on students’ achievement and s...