I wish to talk about the "resistance" of students that Frank often faced, while teaching at a vocational school.
The video highlighted the balancing act of teachers having to be an authority figure and supporters of students. There is some minimum standards that must be met, but I think that students work best when they have reason to believe in the task that they are doing. In Frank's case, he felt that resistance was futile and encouraged them express themselves fully, even against the class material! I loved that he got the class to fully participate by making the act something they believed in.
I noticed that he said the word "instincts" when talking about his decision making in these difficult situations. In my (short) experience teaching classrooms, I found that I will have to rely on my instincts because the job is trying to keep 30 people engaged in something they might not like. An open dialogue with a group means there's no way to plan everything out, you will have to get good at adapting to unseen circumstances, and be good at reading the room, because as much as a teacher has to be an authority figure, 30 people are always going to outweigh the will of 1.
No comments:
Post a Comment